Re: Oracle 8i "hot" backups on AlphaVMS?

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 23 Jan 2001 19:00:16 -0700

In article <astr6tk2vunqb7v6t2i9e1ive3nsnrojq6_at_4ax.com>,

    Dave Harrold <DRHarrold_at_earthlink.net> writes:

> I'm not sure about 8i (we haven't upgraded yet), but we do hot backups
> of our oracle database twice per week. You have to make sure you also
> get the archive logs so you can recover if needed. I'll assume, from
> conversation from our application vendor, that Oracle is *not*
> removing this ability on VMS.

    Works the same in 8.1.6 as it did in 7.x:

  • Put the tablepaces in backup mode
  • Back them up ( using VMS Backup with /IGNORE=INTERLOCK )
  • take the tablespaces out of backup mode.
  • Make sure you save all the archived log files.

   If this is not what you're talking about perhaps you could provide a more specific example of what 8i can't do on VMS and I'll check it out.

  • export also works fine on a "hot" database. We do both kinds of backups.