Oralce disk setup

From: edipko01 <edipko01_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:43:51 GMT

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on disk setup for Oracle 8.1.6.1 on Solaris. This is my first go-around with oracle, so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

I will be working with 3, 40Mbit/sec scsi channels, and approx 16 - 18.2Gb Hard Drives on a Sun Enterprise 450 with 4x400Mhz CPUs. Database overview: Data gets written only once per hour, users will only read from the database but large calculations are involved with almost every read.

Initial thought for config (raw disks):
Controler 1:
1 disk (Operating System)
3 stripes across 2 disks(u01, u02, u06 - Application, RedoLogs, ArchiveLogs) 2 stripes across 2 disks(u03, u05 - Rollback, Temp)

Controller 2:
1 disk (Mirror Operating System)
4 disk stripe (/u04 - data)

Controller 3:
4 disks stripe (mirror /u04)
3 stripes across 2 disks (mirror /u01, u02, u06)

Questions:

1.) Would I be better off putting 5 stripes on 4 disks for u01,2,3,5,6?
2.) Should I use raw disks everywhere?
3.) With only a couple dollars difference between 18.2Gb and 9.6Gb
drives, is there any reason not to use the 18.2Gb? 4.) Would it be better to partition each disk as needed for u01...u06, and create 6 stripes across say 9 drives (3 per controller), and do the same for the mirrors?

Again, this is my first experience with Oracle, so please be gentle.

Thanks in advance
Ernie Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 05:43:51 CET

Original text of this message