Re: Comparing Oracle with Sybase

From: martin_harrison <martin_harrison_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:55:01 GMT

We're in the same boat, looking to move to Oracle from Sybase as part of a corporate direction. In our conversion we are planning to place all tables from each of our Sybase databases into one tablespace. With another tablespace set aside for the indexes.

The differences we have found so far are:

(1) We used Open Server to write files to the users directory in UNIX
and to trigger shells. This will probably map to the PL/SQL UTF_FILE and DBMS_PIPE services but I'm leary about permissions.

(2) Dynamic result sets were handled easily in DBLIB, but now we need
to implement the complex Pro*C Method 4 for dynamic result sets.

(3) Dates don't hold milliseconds (not a big deal, but a conversion
issue)

Regards,
Martin

Sent via Deja.com