Re: JDK Hang due to SQL Query

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 09:37:31 GMT

In article <3a4dff07$1_at_news.starhub.net.sg>,   "Adrian Ting" <adrianting_at_post1.com> wrote:
> Hi, i am facing a major problem in my current development.
>
> When I send a SQL query (through servlets) to Oracle8i via the Oracle
 thin
> driver, it always seem to hang my JDK with one set of SQL statement --
> particularly
>
> DELETE FROM table_name WHERE table_id='xxx'
>
> This statement has been tested through both a regular
> statement.executeUpdate() as well as a preparedstatement.executeUpdate
 () and
> yields similar results. However, this does not occur for all tables,
> particularly only tables with quite a number of fields.
>
> My development configuration:
> Apache Webserver 1.3.14
> Apache JServ 1.1.2-2
> JDK1.3
> JSDK2.0
> Oracle8i v.8.1.6
>
> Anybody has faced similar problem before and has a solution? Heard
 its a bug
> in JDK1.3 about statements with the 'WHERE' condition. At my wits end
 now.

You might want to determine what it means to hang. Deletes especially out of large tables ( or with large number of rows) will take time. Maybe lots of time. If you have read the newsgroup, people have been deleting rows from tables that take 10 hours. You should attempt the same command in SQLPlus to check for the timing. (Rollback the action when done)

You may be timing out due to the long running time of the statement. Selects are generally fast. You might want to check how long your queries can large for.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com