Re: Problem intalling 8i on RedHat 6.2

From: Jeroen van Veldhuizen <Jeroenvv_at_planet.nl>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:20:01 +0100

Nils Jacobson wrote:

> I've been attempting to install Oracle 8i Release 2 (8.1.6) for Linux
> Intel
> on a machine running RedHat 6.2. The documentation says:
> For the Bourne or Korn shells:
>
> On the server where the Oracle database will be installed, enter the
> following:
>
> $ DISPLAY=workstation_name:0.0
> $ export DISPLAY
>
> In the session on your workstation:
>
> $ xhost +server_name
>
> This machine will be the oracle server, so I've tried:
> localhost
> localhost.localdomain
> etc.
> for workstation name and servername and I get the following:
> [oracle_at_localhost oracle]$ DISPLAY=localhost.localdomain:0.0
>
> the xhost man pages arn't giving me any clues, got any ideas?

If you are installing and logged in to the machine itself, you don't really need to do it. DISPLAY indicates to which display the programs can open their displays. If you are logged in via an X session as the oracle user, it is not necessary since you already own the display. DISPLAY will be set to :0.

Jeroen van Veldhuizen Received on Sun Dec 24 2000 - 14:20:01 CET

Original text of this message