Re: Client unable to connect to instance

From: John L. Laine <jllaine_at_raytheon.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:35:58 -0500

j_beverly wrote:

> I have a similar problem. I have an Oracle database and WebDB
> installed on one computer (running Windows 2000 Professional) and I'm
> trying to accesss it from a client machine running Window 98. I can
> acess files via the LAN, but can't get to the WebDB. I've checked and
> rechecked the TC/ICPsettings. I have another Webserver (Apache) on the
> Windows 2000 workstation that works fine (I can see it on the client
> machine). The WebDB listener folder is even visible from the client
> workstation, but I can't connect to it using the (IE) web browser. I
> think this is more of a networking than a Oracle problem, but it is
> driving me nuts.
>
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:14:51 -0500, "stefan" <stefan_at_va.prestige.net>
> wrote:
>
> >The oracle server is on a linux box behind a linksys router and using my
> >isp's DNS and domain name in the resolv.conf file. These machines have
> >internal IP's ( i.e.. 192.168.1.100 )I believe this is where the problem
> >maybe. I am able to connect to the data base instance through a telnet
> >session although when trying from work or even another computer in the house
> >on the same subnet I get tns name failure .If I watch the listener logs in
> >either case,on the LAN or at work it shows the connection with the host name
> >,ip and then establish to the instance but I get the names lookup failure at
> >the client computer.The first line of the tnsnames.ora file must start
> >(instance + IP of the oracle server) or complains unable to resolve name
> >cannot just be the instance.
> >

> >It sounds like a mess any help would be great.

I'd first try to make sure that the listener was listening. on the server running WebDB, run the command netstat-a, and look for both the database listener port number and the WebDB port number to both have a status

of LISTEN.
Then, open a browser on the WebDB server and go to URL localhost:<webdb_port_number>
for example,mine is: localhost:1523 (or 127.0.0.1:1523)

this should narrow down where the problem is. Received on Wed Dec 20 2000 - 16:35:58 CET

Original text of this message