Re: unloading text and loading text.

From: Ken <faiho_at_hongkong.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:11:54 +0800

for example, you want to spool the data to a file. you may type the followings in sqlplus.

set head off
spool test.txt
select firstname||','||lastname||','||userid from <table_name>;
spool off

Then the file test.txt will contain what you want.

Ken

"Lamar Williams" <lamar_at_moOFus.com> ????? news:3A3172E4.E944B583_at_moOFus.com...
> Any examples for option 1? Using comma seperated data.
>
> given the following table:
>
> Name Null? Type
> ----------------------------------------- --------
> ----------------------------
> FIRSTNAME NOT NULL CHAR(32)
> LASTNAME NOT NULL CHAR(32)
> USERID NOT NULL CHAR(10)
>
> and a data file like the following
>

> Lamar,Williams,8834
> Joey,Thebest,83
> Connie,isInTrouble
>

> Thanks,
> Lamar
>
> Alexander Medvedev wrote:
>
> > Lamar Williams wrote:
> >
> > > What is the best way to unload a table into a human readable text
 file,
> > > and then
> > > load it back into my table (assumming I clean the table first)?
> > >
> > > I'm experience with Informix, but new to Oracle.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Lamar_at_moOFus.com
> >
> > Hi Lamar,
> >
> > There are several ways to do it.
> >
> > 1) unload to file by SQL*Plus, load by SQL*Loader
> > 2) using UTL_FILE package (set of stored procedures, suplied with
 Oracle) -