Re: Oracle database licensing

From: cliff autin <cliff-autin_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 05:08:06 GMT

This is how my Oracle Sales Rep explained this to me:

  • Oracle must be licensed for every computer and CPU (one or more per computer) on which it runs. I don't know much about multi-processor architectures but apparently there is a way for specific CPU(s) to be dedicated to certain OS tasks (Oracle or otherwise). For example if you had a large Sun machine with 8 processors, 1 of which were dedicated to an email server, 2 of which dedicated to a web server and 5 available for Oracle and miscellanous tasks, you would be required to license Oracle for this computer with the 5 processor configuration.
  • There is no functional difference between Oracle on a single or multi-CPU box.
  • I can't see why Oracle would not work if you added more CPUs to a single-CPU machine, but if the additional CPUs were not dedicated to non-Oracle tasks (i.e. they play a role in processing the Oracle instance on that machine), you would be obligated to upgrade your license (and incurr increased cost) to the new CPU configurartion. Hope this helps.