Re: oracle

From: Dennis Burrill <dburrill_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:01:10 GMT

I've worked both in Oracle and Progress shops. Here is the basic jist of it. Oracle developers and DBA's are easier to find, but not always very competent. Progress people are a little harder to find, but they are out there. In the long run the Oracle Database will be much more expensive. Oracle tends to have a better (ie more robust DB) and Progress has a much better development language. You will need to upgrade to enterprise edition to do E-commerce and such. Yes, Oracle does hammer you with pricing. I dont remember the exact figures, but the cost of using Oracle over a 5 year period is roughly 3-5 times more than Progress. Progress develpment time tends to be shorter. Also, the most important aspect Programmers -vs- Developers. Most Oracle people tend to be Tool Users, they are very good with tool sets, but are usually weak in Analytical, and general Programming skills. Progress people tend to have more of an Analytical background. I've been programming for 10+ years, and through trial and error have found that I would rather have a Progress Programmer and train him/her than trying to do the opposite.

Dennis Burrill
Fytek, Inc.
www.fytek.com