Re: Hi! (newbie)

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:57:54 GMT

Inline...

Steve wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Im new to this Oracle thing...
>
> My company deals in automobiles (sales/spares/service) and has huge
> amounts of data stored on AS/400 and Paradox (Netware).
>
> My company has:
> 1.) Paradox running on Novell Netware interfaced by Delphi
> applications residing on the Netware server, accessed by Win'95
> (Novell Client) users who access these applications through a share to
> this directory.
>
> 2.) Everyday in the morning, some application is run to update the
> mainframe (AS/400) with the data in the Paradox database.
>
> We have plans to:
> Migrate the Paradox part to Oracle 8i which will run on Linux. The
> same old Delphi applications will reside on the Linux server, Win'95

yuk! Previous century s/w - consider upgrading; the manufacturer of this product has released two major releases since, plus numerous bugfixes.

> users will have a share to this directory on the Linux server. About

Generally a bad idea to use a database server as a file server, too. Holds

true for _any_ o/s: fileservers want large packets, and bursts for a short

time - db servers want small packaets all the time (if anyone uses the database(s) that is...). Fileservers want disk layout for max output (RAID-5),
db servers generally (OLTP) for input (raw, RAID-0, RAID-1)

> the connection to the mainframe...I dont really know about the gateway
> services right now..

Oracle on the mainframe? Can de done. Gateway? Can be done, too. Need an extra loan to pay the licence fees? Can be done, too. Oops - rereading your post, I see you regard an AS/400 as a mainframe. OK - strike first remark, other two still stand. Considered reworking paradox to oracle?

> Can someone tell me:
> a) Is this *ok*?, what are *all* the possibilities here?

Some outlined above, rest depends on $$$: there is a gateway to the AS/400, one way, and pretty costly. Would defenitly *not* do the linux combine - use two, possibly linux, machines instead.

> b) Should we re-write the Delphi applications in VB 6/Developer 2000
> or something else?

Shoudl, or could? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", altho my experience with
garages has been the opposite... You could, of course, but take one step at the time.

> c) Advice on where to start my reserach on this whole thing?

What would be the goal?

--
Gtrz,

Frank van Bortel