Re: 8i standby question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 21:38:05 +1100

No, it doesn't take over automatically. The standby has no idea what is happening over in production.

Would you ever really want it to takeover automatically? Working out whether the last of the current redo in production can be successfully extracted and piped into the standby would take some time; understanding how much data has been lost (assuming you can't get that last bit of current redo out of a stuffed production system) is also something that takes a bit of skill and manual playing around. So my gut feeling is that automatic takeover by the standby would be the very last thing you'd ever want to happen.

If you want true failover and redundancy, then look into parallel server or failover... and make sure you keep the cheque book handy.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000