Re: Help: export - question

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:43:12 GMT

In our last gripping episode "D. KHADER" <khader_at_rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> hi all ,

> i need toexport my database from linux server to winnt-client .. but
 i read
> , that i have to start the script catexp.sql or catalog.sql .. how
 can i do
> that .. what are the params to be used while the exporting
>
> cu ..
> D. khader

Apparently everyone who has posted thus far has been far more interested in correcting you than helping you. Let's straighten that out here and now.

The catalog.sql and catexp.sql scripts are located in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin, however if the database is up and running I would suspect that these scripts have already been run. The exp utility won't function if they have not (you will receive numerous errors due to missing views and the like).

So, let us proceed to the exp function and the necessary parameters. You do not say how much of the database you need to move, so I shall presume you want to perform a full export. The syntax for this would be:

exp user/pass file=filename full=y

This will export the entire database to the filename you have given to exp. Some will say, 'You forgot "compress=y"'. It depends upon how much space you have on the destination server and how large your tables/indexes are. Compressing extents can be a good thing, but it can also be a nightmare if you haven't enough space on the destination server to create large extents. This is why I chose to leave it out.

You can save the export file to your WinNT client if you have it mounted via a network link. You will then import the file into the instance on the NT client using imp:

imp user/pass file=filename full=y buffer=1024000 commit=y ignore=y

The filename is the same filename you provided to exp. The buffer and commit options set an input buffer -- the commit option uses the buffer and once the buffer is full issues a commit to preserve the rows imported into the destination table. This saves a bit on rollback segments (especially for large tables) and prevents a complete rollback should an error surface that Oracle cannot recover from. The ignore parameter tells Oracle to ignore any create errors that may occur because an object already exists in the database.

I hope this helps you.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA