Re: MS OLEDB for Oracle

From: Graham <Graham_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:42:25 GMT

It was in version 2.5 as well.

<k3ith_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8tka73$q1b$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> The lastest OLEDB drivers for Oracle from
> Microsoft now support REF CURSORS.
> It's version 2.6 and you can find it at
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/data/download_260rtm.htm
>

> In article <J6eL5.69418
> $hD4.16085508_at_news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>,
> "Graham" <_> wrote:
> > Matt,
> >
> > I didn't go into the details because I did the
 necessary testing to make
> > sure these weren't problems, but how are you
 suppost to know that right?

> > In total I have 7 functions and 16 packaged
 procedures, all of which are
> > experiencing this problem. These are all
 stored procedures that I migrated
> > from SQL Server 7 to Oracle 8 and executing
 through VB. Of course, it
> > wasn't a straight port and many changes had to
 be made. On many procedures
> > I am using REF CURSOR (my reason for using MS
 OLE DB in the first place) so
> > they were converted over to packaged
 procedures. I haven't done my tuning
> > as of yet because I want to get this problem
 solved first. I also do not
> > have a central query that all functions and
 procedures call nor do I have
> > recurrsive calling. However, I did test
 several queries remotly against
> > Oracle to make sure tuning wasn' the problem I
 was seeing. In fact they run
> > faster than in SQL Server because our hardware
 is much better on our Oracle
> > server.
> >
> > On a side note, if you know a way to return
 multiple recordsets from a
> > single packaged procedure using REF CURSORs,
 I'd love to know how. This is
> > a limitation I do not like at this time since I
 am forced to create an
> > individual procedure for each recordset I'm
 going to return from Oracle.

> > Thanks for you help,
> >
> > Graham Sutcliffe
> >
> > Matt Houseman <mhousema_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in
 message
> > > Graham,
> > >
> > > Several questions:
> > > - are you compiling/dispatching SQL or are
 you invoking stored procedures
> > > (recommended)
> > > - did you simply port your tables/SQL
 directly from SQLServer to Oracle or
> > > did you spend a few minutes tuning your table
 structure and SQL using
> > > EXPLAIN PLAN and other tuning tools
 (recommended)
> > > - have you isolated the most non-performant
 query and cut-and-pasted it
 into
> > > SQL*Plus in an attempt to isolate a
 performance problem with the query
> > > itself versus a performance problem with
 MSDAORA
> > > - if you're using stored procedures, you
 could use REF CURSOR's as the
> > > return then change over to the
 ORAOLEDB.Oracle provider in an attempt to
> > > solve the performance problem.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Matt Houseman
> > >
> > > "Graham" <Graham_at_home.com> wrote in message
 $hD4.15636656_at_news1.rdc1.mi.home.com...
> [...]
 OLEDB newsgroup, but it has very
 else ran into this while doing

 (local)

> ASP