Re: (Perl) DBD::Oracle and 8.0.4 -> 8i upgrade - speed problem? (REPOST)

From: Nick Fotis <fotis_at_eurodyn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:37:05 +0300

Gulamabbas Sikiladha wrote:

> Hello
> I think I am having almost the same problem. A few weeks ago I upgraded my
> Test Machine Dec Alpha 2000 running OpenVMS 7.2-1 from ORACLE 7.3.4.0 to
> 8.1.6 and the performance has just gone down the drain, it takes approx.. 1
> minute to log on through SQLPLUS, I've tried to tune it but nothing seems
> obvious.
> Any suggestions?

There was a thread one week ago about the major loss of speed in VMS impementations of Oracle 8.x - look at the Oracle-related newsgroups (possibly with the 'search' from www.dejanews.com), because I don't remember the thread name.

The conclusion was that the 8.x Oracle (as far as I remember) isn't going to work well under VMS anymore, since it uses the Unix-style implementation. This is a quite different problem than mine, as you can imagine.

Regards,
Nick Fotis. Received on Wed Oct 25 2000 - 16:37:05 CEST

Original text of this message