Re: Oracle VS SQL Server - Which is best to back end ?

From: <admiralbob77_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:01:40 GMT

In article <8qtr70$ln6$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net>,   "Steve Long" <nospam_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> IMHO, the IT service firm is correct. Ease of installation, setup,
 and
> documentation is a minor consideration compared to factors regarding
 real
> database applications.
>
> First, SQL*Server 7 only runs on NT Server. NT Server itself is not
> sufficiently stable or reliable for an enterprise application. It is
> sufficient for non-critical, departmental apps (yeah, i've hear all
 of the
> hype about it too!)

Funny, but I would have thought that TPC benchmarks would qualify as something more than hype. Non-Oracle Windows 2000 based configs hold the top 6 spots on the TPC suite, last I checked. I'd suggest that a reasonable person could only conclude this must imply something where stability and scalability is concerned.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 11 2000 - 19:01:40 CEST

Original text of this message