Re: Double Encryption Illegal?

From: Paul Schlyter <pausch_at_saafNOSPAM.se>
Date: 17 Sep 2000 15:25:39 +0200

In article <8q273q$5aj$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, Tom St Denis <stdenis_at_compmore.net> wrote:

> In article <8q1tea$bhp$1_at_merope.saaf.se>,
>   pausch_at_saafNOSPAM.se (Paul Schlyter) wrote:

>> In article <8pvnav$gdt$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
>> Tom St Denis <stdenis_at_compmore.net> wrote:

>>> Ah but double encryption is not the way to go about it.
>>
>> So you're claiming that triple-DES is no more secure than single-
>> DES ???
>
> Read my message.  Geez.  I said "double" encryption is not the way to
> go about added security.

But you believe "triple" encryption is, since you don't think your statement applied to triple-DES?

One cannot generally state that multiple encryption enhances, or does not enhance, security -- it depends a lot on the encryption used.

Consider for instance the good ol' Caesar cipher: applying it multiple times with different "keys" makes the final encryption no safer than if it was applied only once with one single "key".

Now, instead consider DES, where applying it three times does indeed make tne encryption safer than if applied only once -- that's why 3DES is so popular.

Paul Schlyter,  Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF)
Grev Turegatan 40,  S-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at saaf dot se   or    paul.schlyter at ausys dot se
WWW:     http://hotel04.ausys.se/pausch    http://welcome.to/pausch