Re: Oracle VS SQL Server - Which is best to back end ?

From: Mujahid <mujahid_at_iqura.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:39:51 +0530

I think Oracle and SQL Server have their respective benefits. What matters is which one of these is most applicable to our on going projects.
Oracle has been on the market for a lot longer than SQL S and probably richer in terms of tackling conventional developer problems.

>> Point to note: The volumes of data will be too great for Access, but
probably at the lower end of the scale for a true client/server back end database.

Oracle costs a lot more than SQL Server and scales up higher too. If the volumn of your data is at the lower end of the scale then SQL is sufficient (and cheaper <g>)
When developing applications on a Microsoft Platform, as a VB Developer, I feel very comfortable staying with Microsoft Technologies. SQL Server should be relativly easier to install and maintain.

One advantage of Oracle is that it can run on platforms other than NT. like Unix for example.
But since we have not done any development on Unix, we do not see it as a delibrating point for us.
However it may not be in your case and you might want to consider this point.

A lot of people I know who have worked on both Oracle and SQL Server tell me that PL SQL is much more powerful that T SQL. Oracle clusters better than SQL S. but can anyone point out an equalent of DTS and OLAP in Oracle ?

Surly the more advanced and experienced developer can list out a lot more detailed differences.

My best bet would be stick with what I know best and the tools in which I can give my best output.
Feeling comfortable developing in a particular language or tool is a significant factor.

--
Mujahid Wazir
IQura Technologies Pvt. Ltd