Re: Oracle VS SQL Server - Which is best to back end ?

From: David Kaye <dk_at_removethis.area.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2000 18:45:51 GMT

Alex Stevens wrote the quoted material below:

" I've been asked to make a comparison between Oracle / SQLS for a
" specification we're writing for a system which is too great for Access,
" (poor network infrastructure on site).

My experience has been that Oracle is expensive, hard to install, and its stored procedures are limited, thus creating a heavy transaction load. I find SQL Server a snap to install and configure, the T-SQL language is robust and allows some incredible procedures. Now that I think of it, SQL Server is probably one of the cheapest databases on the market, thus making it a good value for the money when combined with its strengths.

Plus, I have a hard time trusting a company which sole passion in life is being the "anti-Microsoft". Sorry, show me what you're doing that's positive, not what you're doing against Microsoft. Also, the original release of Oracle 8 was a buggy mess.

--
(C) 2000             "There's more to life than news, weather, and sports"
David Kaye               -- slogan of KGO-TV, creator of "happy talk" news