Re: Saving OO objects in a relational database.

From: Bob Rosen <brosen_at_meteorcomm.com>
Date: 2000/06/14

Paul Reed's book "Developing Applications With Visual Basic and UML" has a section of alternatives for mapping OO data structures into a relational database, including a comparison of performance implications of each one. Whether that book's alternatives are sufficient to meet your needs is another question (It certainly doesn't address your issue of storing multiple-dimension arrays.) In a nutshell, the alternatives he covers are:

  1. store everything in one table
  2. create one table per class and one SQL view per superclass/subclass relationship
  3. create one table per subclass (or I expect in the case of multiple levels of inheritance, per "leaf" class) that includes superclass attributes as well

Bob Rosen