Re: IIS 4.0 asp - Oracle 8 Problem

From: <throckmorton_at_tessco.com>
Date: 2000/05/04

I experienced similar problem (running out of available connections).

The problem was created by setting the recordset = nothing BEFORE setting the recordset.ActiveConnection = nothing.

If the recordset is released without releasing the connection, and the connection is orphaned.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Throckmorton
TESSCO Technologies, Inc.

In article <8cp3s2$69u$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   oleg_sverdlov_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Oracle Objects 2.3, Oracle
> 8.0.5.something, PerlScript and IIS 4.0 on NT 4.
>
> I use Oracle OLE DB provider,
> and the problem is exactly the same. IIS stops
> serving ASP pages, and we can not "Unload
> application" from IIS panel, the server must be
> restarted.
>
> I wonder are there any workarounds except to
> leave IIS for Apache+mod_perl or something?
>
> Sincerely,
> Oleg Sverdlov
>
> In article <8bj9m4$ni3$1_at_lnews.actcom.co.il>,
> "Gerald Berkovics" <gerald_at_coral.co.il> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Background:
> >
> > I work on an application written in asp using
 perlscript.
> > The database I use is Oracle 8. I use the
 oracle odbc driver, because the
> > microsoft odbc
> > driver for oracle has all kind of problems.
> >
> > The application runs on NT4 + IIS 4 + sp6a, and
 the oracle is on another
> > unix computer.
> >
> > Problem:
> >
> > It seems that my applications hungs sometime.
> > It happens 1 - 3 times per day (with days that
 it works okay).
> > The IIS continue to serve html pages.
> > The IIS continue to serve asp pages that do not
 contain database
> > connections.
> > I've check network and looks okay.
> > At the oracle database everything looks okay.
> >
> > After my checks, I came to the following
 conclusions :
> > The problem happens because any call the
 Connection.open hungs the specific
> > asp page that
> > tries to make the connection.
> > The timeout is very short but does not affect,
 and We dont return from the
> > connection.open.
> >
> > Probably the problem is at the asp to odbc
 provider or the oracle driver.

> > If i make connections from other places,
 through the same odbc, it works at
> > the same moment when it
> > doesnt work from the asp environment.
> >
> > Also, If i write a cgi in perl , it success to
 connect also.

> > From this i conclude that the problem is like
 asp application loosing
> > connection to the provider or something.
> >
> > Ususaly the cpu is at 50% when this happens.
 Since the application server
> > has 2 cpu's, this probably means
> > that an asp is blocked at the connection and
 cpu is wasted o this block.

> > IIS cannot be stoped from the services panel,
 so we must kill it or restart
> > the server.
> >
> > I wonder if others have already encounters this
 problem, and if yes how did
> > they solved it.
> >
> > Also, I would like to know if theree are
 debugging tools or other utilities
> > out there that can help me
> > find the exact location of problem.
> >
> > Thanks, Gerald.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu May 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message