Shared pool usage

From: Alla Gribov <alla.gribov_at_metatel.com>
Date: 2000/05/03

I have a problem that might sound trivial to most of you, but I need an urgent help. I don't know that much about how shared pool is working and can't find any answers myself so far.

I have a PL/SQL procedure that connects to the server running somewhere and is listening for the data from the server, until the server closes the connection.

The way it's done is as following: there is a server written in C that opens up a socket for sending data. I wrote a C program that has the following functions: open socket connection, read from the socket, write to socket and close connection. This C program is compiled as shared library, so I could call it's functions from the PL/SQL package as external procedures.

Everything worked perfect, until I started running out of memory in shared pool. My shared_pool_size is set to about 50M on a Solaris box with 256M of RAM (this is just a development machine).

I made an experiment and saw the following. I restarted DB and looked at the v$sgastat view. I had nothing running, so the amount of free memory in shared pool stayed the same. As soon as I started my procedure (it's done as a job using dbms_job package), the amount of free memory started going down. At this point the server was not sending any data. Nothing was going on except, that my procedure in it's loop was constantly trying to call the read_data external procedure.

Can someone explain to me, why shared pool memory was decreasing and what it was used for?

It's a really urgent problem for me, because if I can't figure out what is "eating" my memory, I'll have to re-design the whole thing and I have a really tight deadline (like yesterday :-))))

Thank you very much for any help you can provide me with

I appreciate you taking your time to answer

                                 Alla Gribov
                          alla.gribov_at_metatel.com
The greatest programming project of all took six days. On the seventh day the programmer rested. We've been trying to debug the thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.