Re: Extracting data to client PC from server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/04/22

No, it doesn't, unless of course you hook up a drive with NFS on the server. IMO, this is perfectly logical, the pl/sql runs at the server, writing at the client would violate this idea. It isn't probably also possible as the engine is of course completely sql oriented and utl_file is a recent addition.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Glenn Goslin <glenng_at_iafrica.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 390157ff.0_at_news1.mweb.co.za...
> I am new to Oracle, having just completed the PL/SQL and Program Units
> courses. I am scheduled to complete the Forms and Reports courses during
> May.
>
> I have been tasked with converting some our more frequently used scripts
> which extract data uing PL/SQL scripts which are run from SQL*PLUS, to
> procedures and to specifically avoid using temporary tables.
>
> I have noticed that the documentation for the UTL_FILE only refers to
> reading and writing data from/to files on the server(UNIX), and not the
> client PC(in our case WIN95).
>
> Does the package provide the facility to read and write files on client
 PC's