Re: Moving large amounts of data from one Oracle Server to another

From: <lempert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/09

In article <9vaH4.143011$Hq3.3361229_at_news2.rdc1.on.home.com>,   "Bobc" <bobchaytor_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the situation:
> There is 10 gb of data on a production server (Oracle 7.3.?.?) that I
 need
> to move to a second server on a quarterly basis (Same version of
 Oracle).
> Currently this data is bundled up in a full oracle export, sent to the
> second Unix box, an import is performed and then the quarterly
 processing
> takes place on the second box. The whole process from the start of
 the
> export to the end of the import is taking 8-10 hours!!! This is way
> long. The export processing is taking place on a large parallel
 siemens box
> the import is being done on a smaller siemens machine.
>
> Does anyone out there have an suggestions on a different approach to
 moving
> this data to the second machine? I am open to any and all ideas. I
 can
> only assume, since I have not had a chance to look at the database
 tuning
> issues that both databases are well tuned, if you know of any tuning
 issue
> specific to import/export I would really like to hear about them.
>
> One requirement of any suggestion is that it can not heavily impact
> performance on the main production server.
>
> If it is not to much trouble, could you email me directly.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bob.

Hi
1. Try the import/export in the direct=y mode, it's much faster. Yet I don't know if it runs also on 7.3.x
2. Don't mkae full exp/imp. Just leave the system alone and try to exp/imp only the tables from the owners U need. In the small machine, truncate all the tables and disable the Indexes. Import the rows of data and then only enable the Indexes.
3. On a quaterly basis, a 10 hour load is OK if it's all written in a script.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Apr 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message