Re: database link - error ORA-02085 problem

From: <buckeye714_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/29

I ran into a problem similar to this before. I had other issues, but my solution came down to setting the init.ora parameter global_names. Setting it to true enforces the rule that the link name must be the same as the database name. A quick solution would be to name the link 'PR' instead of 'ORACLE'. Then the link name would match the database name. Otherwise, set global_name = false in init.ora and try again.

Hope this helps.

Later....
Patrick
In article <
38E26E7D.89A65A4C_at_vnp.com>, comp.database.oracle, pcu_at_vnp.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to create a database link between a production db and
> another, in order to replicate the production db via snapshots.
>
> I run across a problem which appears to be how Oracle resolves the
> remote connection. I am not creating a "ORACLE.VNP.COM" connection,
 but
> an "ORACLE" connection, and Oracle8i appears to expect those to be the
> same.
>
> Thank you so much if you have advice and help on this particular
> subject.
>
> regards,
> Peter Urka <pcu_at_vnp.com>
> VNP Software
>
> The production db is 'oracle' on machine 'pr.vnp.com'.
> The replicate db is 'backup' on machine 'life.vnp.com'.
> The user and password is the same on both machines
> (for access to table AdTable).
> This is under Oracle8i, Windows 2000 platform.
>
> -- here is the statement used to create the link; default user &
> password
> SQL> create database link ORACLE using 'PR.VNP.COM';
>
> Database link created.
>
> -- here is the statement that fails
> SQL> create snapshot PRS_AdTable storage (initial 4 next 4 pctincrease
> 0) tablespace PR_SNAPS refresh force start with SYSDATE next SYSDATE+1
> with primary key as select * from AdTable_at_ORACLE;
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-02085: database link ORACLE.VNP.COM connects to ORACLE
>
> -- here is what the online documentation says about this error
> ORA-02085 database link string connects to string
> Cause: The database link attempted to connect to a database with a
> different name. The name of the database link must be the same name as
> the name of the database.
> Action: Create a database link with the same name as the database
> to which it connects.
>
> -- here is the tnsnames.ora file
> # E:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration
> File:E:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
> # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant
>
> BACKUP.VNP.COM =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = LIFE)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = backup)
> )
> )
>
> PR.VNP.COM =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = PR)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = oracle)
> )
> )
>
> -- here is the sqlnet.ora file
> # E:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\SQLNET.ORA Configuration
> File:E:\Oracle\Ora81\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
> # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant
>
> # commented out by me
> [...]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message