Can't run dbassist on 8.1.5i linux

From: Kurt Fitzner <kfitzner_at_nexus.v-wave.com>
Date: 2000/03/04

I am having a rather frustrating time getting 8.1.5i installed on Linux. The dbassist program won't run for me. I get the warning that everyone mentions "JNLS Exception...Unable to find any National Character Sets". The FAQ, and all sorts of other postings, say to ignore the error. I have no choice but to ignore it, since after I get the error, nothing else happens.

The above error comes up on a message box. As soon as I click 'OK', the following appears on the terminal used to run dbassist:

 java.lang.NumberFormatException:

        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java)
        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java)
        at WizOSD.DBQueryAvailableRAM(WizOSD.java:296)
        at CheckerClass.CheckAvailableRAM(CheckerClass.java:496)
        at CheckerClass.DetectAll(CheckerClass.java:63)
        at DBConfigInfo_base.<init>(DBConfigInfo_base.java:901)
        at DBConfigInfo.<init>(DBConfigInfo.java:44)
        at DBCreateWizard.<init>(DBCreateWizard.java:421)
        at DBCreateWizard.main(DBCreateWizard.java:1082)

After that appears, it just hangs. Sits there. No return to the command prompt, no further windows open, no CPU usage, no disk activity.

Is there some Java setting to have it continue after exceptions? If so, I'd sure appreciate any feedback.

        Kurt.          Received on Sat Mar 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message