Re: should I program Oracle in Java or pl/sql

From: M. Armaghan Saqib <armaghan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/02/11

You are right about avoiding Oracle specific things. But in my case, I have decided to do everything Oracle. This makes things easy and improves quality of my work.

I tried to be generic in the past about databases and development. But things became extremely easy and productivity increased when we decided to bank on Oracle for all the coming times and got rid of all of our efforts to be generic.

This is just a personal comment and not a recommendation.

regards,
M. Armaghan Saqib

+---------------------------------------------------------------
+---------------------------------------------------------------
<drobinson1_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:87unm8 $ffq$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I'd say use Java as much as possible for your application logic, with
> bit of PL/SQL only for complex data retrieval. Keeping most of the
> application in Java will make it simpler to move the code off to an
> application server in the future if necessary, in addition to being
 able
> to use the object-oriented capabilities of Java right now. Altough
> PL/SQL now has objects, it still lacks object-oriented fundamentals
 such
> as inheritance and polymorphism.
>
> And when writing Java in the database, try to steer clear of
> Oracle-specific extensions, if you want to avoid being locked into
> Oracle for the next 10 years, and if you want to keep open the
> possibility of moving the code to an external application server. For
> example, avoid using Oracle's DATE and NUMBER Java classes, or at
 least
> create your own wrapper classes for the Oracle classes so they can be
> replaced easily if moving the code out of the Oracle server.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message