Re: Need API to read Oracle Redo Logs

From: ykhogaly <ykhogaly_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2000/01/16

Hi,

Oracle8i provides the following supplied packages which will achieve the functionality you are looking for :

DBMS_LOGMNR

DBMS_LOGMNR supplies the log analyzer tool with the list of filenames and SCNs required to initialize the tool. After this procedure completes, the server is ready to process SELECTs against the V$LOGMNR_CONTENTS view. Redo log data is especially important for recovery, because you can use it to pinpoint when a database became corrupted.You can then use this information to recover the database to the state just prior to a corruption for example!.

DBMS_LOGMNR_D

DBMS_LOGMNR_D contains the LogMnr procedure to create the LogMnr dictionary file. This procedure queries the dictionary tables of the current database and creates a text-based file containing their contents. The external dictionary file is created in preparation of future analysis of log files using the LogMnr tool.

Please refer to Oracle8i Supplied Packages Reference "Part No. A68001-01" for complete quid through the required steps to utilize this 8i built-in feature.

"The Views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Oracle Corporation"