Re: Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

From: Ian Jones <ijones_nspam_at_pacbell.net>
Date: 1999/12/30

>Solution #1: Using multiple (2+) standard edition Oracle 8i on Linux
>I will load balance clients between 2 or more Oracle 8i standard edition
>servers to maintain a high degree of performance.

Why did you arrive at this solution, if I understand you are proposing two databases? How will you keep them in sync? Why not go for a single database and spend the license money on fault tollerent hardware?

>Also, I am interested in hearing about Oracle experts who are using it in
>Linux platform for large scale OLTP.

The choice between workgroup and enterprize comes down to the availability of extra options such has partitioning, advanced replication, etc. Unless you specifically need these extra features on day one I would go with the workgroup and upgrade should you need to at a later date.