Re: Two short questions for the gurus.....

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: 1999/11/29

"Sean Denney" <sean.denney_at_ichristian.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone help me with a couple of forms questions.
>
>1. How can I translate a code into a description for a forms field so that
>when a user queries the code field, they see the description. Do I need to
>create a new field or can I do it with a mask or something?

Create a LOV with the codes and their descriptions - set it to auto-activate and you user will see a list containing the info when entering the field - read the docs on LOVs and Record Groups...

>2. How do you automatically add wildcards to a user's query? Do you use a
>pre-query trigger?

I'm not sure...but that would seem to be the place to do it...ypu will need to write a select statement that uses the user input concatenated with '%' - Why not have you user put in the wild card- I find it easier to train a user than to write extra code (:-)

hth,
John Greco