storing Japanese characters(B

From: John R. Pink(B <jpink_at_liquidaudio.com>
Date: 1999/11/22

I am trying to insert Japanese characters into my Oracle 8.0.5 database running on Solaris 2.6 (eventually I'll need to support korean and after that who knows what). I have set up the database character set and national character set both to be UTF8.

I have a test table with two columns, one is a varchar2(100) and the other is nvarchar2(100).

I run the following sql statement to insert a row:

INSERT INTO test VALUES('園',CSCONVERT('園','NCHAR_CS'))

which is:

 園 JIS code: 3160 Kuten: 1764 Shift-JIS: 8980 Unicode: 5712, octal
\211\200

when I query (select * from test;) I get:

真 , 真

which is JIS code: 3F3F Kuten: 3131 Shift-JIS: 905e Unicode: 771f octal
\277\277

what I believe I want to do is force the incoming value to be unicode, then I should get unicode back out. Leave it to the operating system to do the character representation. What I think I am doing (?) is putting EUC-JIS in the database and I have no clue what I am getting back.

If anyone knows what is going on I would greatly appreciate your assistance. If anyone is having similar difficulties, I'd be happy share information.

John

--
Liquid Audio Inc.
John Pink -- Database Administrator