Re: Cost based optimizer

From: Todd and Mary Ryder <tryder2_at_home.com>
Date: 1999/11/07

YES. I use it.

ANALYZE TABLE mytable COMPUTE STATISTICS;

Then, to insure cost-based, over rule (perhaps the init file says "choose" or "rule", you can
select /*+ FIRST_ROWS*/ * from mytable;
and oracle will use the statistics - of course, this is a meaningless example, as it is only on JOINS, not single-table selects, where cost-based optimization, absent indexes, etc. is likely to find the shortest execution plan to the desired result set.

Todd Ryder
tryder2_at_home.com