Re: replication, save database... need help.

From: Brian W. Chester <bwchester_at_home.com>
Date: 1999/11/06

Hassane,

Oracle is the answer to both of your questions!

Oracle Advanced Replication option can be installed at each location your Oracle server is installed. Other than installing the advanced replication feature, you will need a WAN (wide area network) with sufficient bandwidth to handle the expected amount of replicated data. At one of my client's sites, I have 15 Oracle 8 Personal Edition machines replicating to a central server via dialup networking and larger sites using 256k Frame relay circuits for large replication tasks. Setting up replication is not difficult but does require careful planning at all stages of the database design.

Performing "hot" backups in Oracle is accomplished by placing the database in "archive" mode. This allows you to take tablespaces off line to perform the backup while the database remains live. This feature requires great care in the design of your database architecture and in the design of the tables, indexes and other objects.

Additional tools are not required, but other administrators prefer different techniques. Your DBA(s) should construct a custom plan for you specific requirements.

Brian.