Re: Email/Page Notification using Oracle8i

From: Patrick Hamou <patrick_hamou_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1999/10/24

I have once done this kind of system ,
If Oracle has a problem, to get E-Mailed of paged etc..

Let me tell you How I did it..

I first had to find a program that can E-Mail from the DOS prompt : - Postie (you can find it at Download.com)

After, I did a Forms program that monitors the critical information, example : Tablespace utilisation
with a Timer (every hour for instance) and if a Tablespace is used at 85% (or more),
I sent myself an E-Mail with the Forms HOST command ..

That's it !

I don't think that Oracle 8i has an integrated system that can do something similar...

Patrick Hamou
Oracle DBA
patrickhamou_at_hotmail.com

Michael Chan <MikeChan_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:hgKQ3.150$4R2.18858_at_typhoon-sf.snfc21.pbi.net...
> I'm an Oracle8i admin newbie and I am evaulating whether Oracle8i has any
> built ins for doing notification.
>
> I want to have a monitor that can page or email me in case of any database
> failures.
>
> Also, I'd like to be able to program in PL/SQL some sort of alert system.
> The system would allow users to
> register for a certain event to occur for example, if Madonna was playing
> concert. If I insert data indicating
> that Madonna was playing, the system would look up all users that have
> registered an interest in the artist and send out
> a mass email.
>
> Does Oracle8i have any sort of built in notification like this that can
> interface with email and paging? I have heard of Oracle Intelligent
 Agent.