Re: I need InfoWorld of October 4, 1999 - will pay $

From: A.Lizard <alizard[spam]_at_ecis.com>
Date: 1999/10/14

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:25:21 GMT, "Dave Koster" <bottleneckt_at_slonet.com> wrote:

>Mike Smith <kld_msmith_at_NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in article
><7u27h1$4r9$1_at_oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
>> Albert Yale <ay_at_aci.qc.ca> wrote in message
 [snip]

>> > so i'm looking for a print edition of this issue to add to my resume.
>:-)
>>
>> Why not just put the above URL in your resume?

Here's one reason why not.

There's no guarantee that the article will still be at the URL posted in the resume when an employer clicks it or enters the URL off paper into her Web browser.

I've been bitten by this one already... the magazine stopped running articles written before the current management took over. Luckily, they had a copy of the online version and were willing to send it to me. Copyright was not a question in this case since as most authors do, I'd sold 'first serial rights' to the article; in order to waive your personal rights for further use, you have to do so explicitly in a "work for hire" context. It was mine to post on my own site and that's what I just did with it.

That reminds me, I need to go back and grab the other ones... though they are chiefly of historical interest at this point, like how to articles on running DOS / -ix uuencoding software.

  • If your resume or other personal promotional literature has references to URLs of your articles, get your own copies RIGHT NOW... and put them on your site. (you needn't change the URL pointers until and unless the articles disappear from the site... it does look better if a potential client or employer can access them live at the magazine, etc. site.
                                                A.Lizard
"Here's the most exasperating part: Ninety-five percent of the Y2k hoax hysteria is planted by people who stand to gain, head-lined by propagation-hungry publishers, and purveyed as truth by perpetuators of rumour." Dave Eastabrook
"Anybody who still believes in the media must have been in a coma for the past 30 years." - Robert Anton Wilson Personal Web site http://www.ecis.com/~alizard Y2Kinfo: http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/y2k.html Littleton page:http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/littleto.html backup address (if ALL else fails) alizard_at_[spam]onebox.com PGP 6.5.1 key available by request,keyserver,or on my Web site