8i on RH Linux: new user cannot sign on SQL*Plus

From: Kevin O'Gorman <kevin_at_ayuda.com>
Date: 1999/10/11

I'm all alone with my new Oracle 8i EE (nobody else here knows anything about it either).

I've been in and out of 'sqlplus' and 'svrmgrl' a number of times as user 'oracle'. I just did
a CREATE USER to create a new user, and granted him the CONNECT and RESOURCE
roles. Now I try to connect using 'sqlplus' and I get an error about loading of a shared library.
No soap. User 'oracle' continues to work.

I'm assuming this is a permissions problem, even though as near as I can tell, I have permissions
according to the docs. All the /u01/app..... directories are 771, all the shared libraries are 751, and
I'm logged into Linux as a user from an 'other' group. However, even changing the library to
777 doesn't make the message go away.

Help?

--
Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 650-6274  kevin_at_ayuda.com
At school: kogorman_at_cs.ucsb.edu