Re: Database design: HELP!

From: Uncle Paeng <uncle_paeng_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 1999/09/30

In article <7rle0e$dr8$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   bik2_at_mail.com wrote:
> Hi all database gurus out there!
>
> I have a problem: I've been assigned the task to design a database far
> a website that is going to be like Yahoo.
> They'll have categories, subcategories, subsubcategories and so on.
> On the leaf level are webpages of companies. Some of the subcategories
> may exist under several different higher-level categories, and
> companies can be under any level of categories and in several places.
> You have to also be able to search for a company or category name and
> be redirected there.
> Frankly I don't know how to approach the problem!
> Do I have to create 1 table for main categories, 1 for subcategories
> and so on and then one for companies? Or do I just create 1 table with
> all categories and then use the IDs to reference/run joins?
> Any other ideas? I use MSSQL 7.0. Please help, I'm running out of
> time
> and I'm a newbee at design of DBs! Answer this post or mail me!!!
> Thanks for reading!
> /Richard

I recommend you implement a tree. You can get more info on this in Joe Celko's book, "SQL For
Smarties". You can find it on Amazon.com at the following location: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558603239/qid=938725537/sr=1-1/0 02-0184969-4268630

--
Uncle Paeng

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/