Re: Cascade Update

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1999/09/18

A copy of this was sent to pbolduc_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 05:57:35 GMT, you wrote:

> The Oracle Government site used to have a package that generated
>cascade update pl/sql using triggers and packages. I have the code as
>downloaded, but have never used it. It is a 30K zip file. It is for
>v7. I thought in v8 there is support for cascade update?

The code i did up for v7 works in v8.

In v8, you can use DEFERRABLE constraints to do this as well. It makes the triggers easier to write (but you must write the triggers). It'll also change the 'logic' of your application since the errors for deferrable constraints pop up at commit time -- not at update time.

See my signature below for the URL to get this stuff.

>One interesting note: the Oracle Government code has an option to
>preserve the rowid of the cascade update rows, although there would be
>a small performance hit.
>
>Phil
>
>In article <7rq77f$fop$1_at_news.is.co.za>,
> "Nemniss" <nemniss_at_email.com> wrote:
>> Hi. I need to do cascaded updates on my database. Does any one know
 where
>> I might find such an Utility or a script?
>>
>> Much Appreciated
>>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st