InterMedia: Wildcard searches are slow compared to MS SQL Server ?

From: (wrong string) øm Mikkelsen <memsi_at_get2net.dk>
Date: 1999/09/14

Hi,

I'am currently evaluating the full-text capabilities in Oracle Intermedia and Microsoft SQL Server. Both servers are up and running on a Pentium II 333MHz 256 Mb RAM.

I have populated both databases with the same data and created a full-tekst index on that data. The data consists of 42000 rows each with 10 words. Every thing works as expected except when I perform a wildcard search like this one:

SELECT *
FROM words
WHERE CONTAINS(text, 'a% & b%') > 0

The query returns the expected 9 rows but it takes about 20 seconds, which is unacceptable and I am afraid that we are going to disqualify Oracle if the performance really is this poor. Executing the same query with Microsoft SQL Server takes only 2 seconds.

Can this really be true ?

Has anyone else experienced the same ?

Are there any tip and tricks to improve performance (I am using default settings) ?

---
Kristian Holmstrøm Mikkelsen, Software developer
The Stibo Group
Søren Nymarksvej 3
DK-8270 Højbjerg / Århus
Denmark