Re: OCP Exams & Self Test Software

From: Sinead <kbsq_at_ziplink.net>
Date: 1999/08/17

I think getting the cert. isn't a waste of time, but definitely doesn't replace years of experience. A person applying for a job with little experience but with the cert. will look more willing/interested to learn than a candiate with no exposure to Oracle, but will not look better than a person with a proven track record. I think it gives you an edge when looking for entry level jobs.

    D Parent wrote in message <7p9us3$6ne$1_at_garnet.nbnet.nb.ca>...     Well I sure am glad to find out the industry consensus is that the Certification is useless after all the time and effort I have devoted to passing the first 3 Exams. When I first inquired about this back in February no-one in this newsgroup seemed to have any negative comments, unfortunately I have been in Bosnia since then and have not been able to keep up. Well at least I have, or will have, a piece of paper saying I am Certified. It seems to me that this would be a good start towards finding employment at the entry level any way. Between my certification and my use of Oracle 7 Server for WinNT on my personal computer I hope someone gives me a chance to prove my worth. Hopefully the MS newsgroup will be more forth coming with regards to the worth of the MSDBA certification.

    D Parent

        Paul Apollo <papollo_at_abacus.bates.edu> wrote in message news:37B86F3E.FA694994_at_abacus.bates.edu...

        This is precisely the reason I asked if the exams and certification were both worth pursuing. The consensus is that unless you're an HR type looking to hire Oracle people, the certification is pretty much useless. I received many notes off-group relating the same sentiment. Thanks for the warning.

        Martin wrote:

            Your lack of experience - yet ability to pass the test , is not a reflection

            on the
            quality of the STSware exams - more a reflection of the low
level at which
            the
            certification exams are pitched.
            I speak as a certified DBA and Developer with over 13years
experience of
            Oracle
            in real life!  I make no slight on your personal ability -
only on the
            farcical nature of
            the Oracle Certifications - if they are to be taken
seriously in the
            industry, they need
            to be seriously re-visited by those responsible for creating
them.

            Hope your listening ORACLE.

            --
            Regards
            Martin Jones
            Doug Parent <dgparent_at_nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> I passed the first 2 exams in the Oracle DBA tract using
the Oracle
> Certification Guide and the STSWare Practice questions.
Before February of
> this year I had never even heard of Oracle and had, and
still don't have,
> any practical experience using it, I think this speaks
volumes for the
> STSWare practice questions they are worth every penny.
> Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote in message
> > I have used the NETG/Oracle CDs. The sample questions
on the disks are
> very
> > like the questions on the tests. There are four CDs -
one for each of the
> > exams. I have an Oracle 7 set for sale at $1100. A new
set from Oracle
> > runs around $2500.
> >
> > Van
> >
> > Sunny <sunnyj_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there anyone who has used the Self Test Software
for practice exams
> for
> > > OCP.
> > > Which one have you used the DBA or Developer practice
exams?
> > > What was your experience with them

-- Paul Apollo Bates College Information Services 207-786-6430 papollo_at_abacus.bates.edu