Re: Big-oh statistics for number of comparisons and run time of new patented sorting algorithm

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_informix.com>
Date: 1999/07/30

Charlie Briney wrote:

> It's patented, so it has something unique that no other sort does. Now it's
> a matter of how well it works in the various application environments and
> it's acceptance by the user community.
>
> Who has the patent?
>
> posting_at_usenet.groups wrote:
> > From the abstract of US Patent 5,926,815, issued
> > July 20, 1999, "BINARY SORT ACCESS METHOD AND
> > APPARATUS":
According to the US Patent and Trademarks Office (http://www.uspto.gov/patft), the inventor is:

James, III; J. Colin (1613 Morning Dr., Loveland CO 80538-4410).

There used to be a newsgroup, alt.bonehead.colin-james-iii, dedicated to this gentleman (circa 1996?).

You can also find some information by searching Yahoo with the term 'Colin James III'; that leads you to the right place immediately. He used to have a web site with some interesting material on it; I don't have the URL in my records, I regret to say.

Seek there before enquiring further.

--
Yours,
Jonathan Leffler (jleffler_at_informix.com) #include