Re: Big-oh statistics for number of comparisons and run time of new patented sorting algorithm

From: Thomas Jäckel <jaeckel_at_netcologne.de>
Date: 1999/07/29

posting_at_usenet.groups schrieb:

> From Thomas Jäckel <jaeckel_at_netcologne.de>:
>

> > posting_at_usenet.groups schrieb:

> > > What are the Big-oh statistics of this sort for:
> > >
> > > 1. Worst (maximum) number of comparisons; and
> > > 2. Average run time and worst (maximum) run
 time.

> > > No one has come up with any meaningful
 statistics,
> > > possibly because no one really has taken the
 time to
> > > understand fully how the sort works.
> >
> > Take more memory and you can fasten the sort,
 that's all.

> > Thomas
>
> Nonsense. Obviously it's supposed to be an external
> sort, ie, disk to disk, for millions of keys

So what? Millions of keys, disk to disk says nothing. It is a problem of technologie and perhabs limited resources. The idea of the algorithm my be suitable for this special case, but that changes nothing. It is an old and primitive idea perhabs optimized for a certain situation or problem.
Tell me more about the algorithm, if you want to convince me.

Thomas Received on Thu Jul 29 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message