Re: Oracle #1? Then why are these still missing...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1999/07/28

A copy of this was sent to aspscott_at_tcp.co.uk (Paul) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:30:40 GMT, you wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:28:26 GMT, tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas Kyte)
>wrote:
>
>Thanks for your feedback. I have written many solutions already
>(which turned out to be similar to your suggestions), but thanks
>anyway. Still think a lot of them should be in Oracle anyway, don't
>you?

most of them are

>>>1. A "RANDOM" function.

 done
>>>2. A RANDOMIZE function to accompany "RANDOM" function.
 done (if i understand randomize)
>>>3. A native "DIV" function. Oracle has MOD an integer remainder
 done. its just called TRUNC() is all
>>>4. Bitwise boolean functions OR, XOR, AND, NOT (not the same as
done -- bitand is there in plsql -- bitor, bitxor, etc are all in Java -- that language does that -- and in plsql its easy to do.
>>>5. TO_HEX function. Are they stupid or what?
 done (no, i'd rather think we are not stupid)
easy to implement, if you don't have the time see http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for plsql that lets you do this in 7.1
>>>7. A variant of REPLACE that only replaces the first instance of
way too specific, never had a need to do this myself ever, but trivial to implement in an extensible database (like Oracle :) decode can do this too
>>>8. Alter Table RENAME COLUMN .... How bloody obvious is this? How
not obvious to me -- don't think we'll see this for lots of reasons listed before....
>>>9. Constraint fk_MyForeignKey References MyOtherTable (MyPKField) ON UPDATE CASCADE
 don't have it internally. can code it easily (see my url above).
>>>10. Constraint fk_MyForeignKey References MyOtherTable (MyPKField) ON
>>>DELETE SET NULL. Another Oracle gotcha. It is basic referential
 done
>>>11. The ability to find out who is the locker when using pessimistic
 need 2 sessions to do this correctly. agreed it would be nice tho.
>>>12 The ability to move the cursor back to correct typos in SQL plus.
 done. (always been done)
>>>13 Polymorphism in Objects. What other object modeling language
 disagree with you on this feature, Oracle is OR not OO.
>>>14. Binary operator XOR.

 see above
>>>15. Give SQL Loader the ability to skip columns in CSV format. Not
 done
>>>16 Allow Oracle Debugger Probe to watch of implicit loop variables.
>>>17. Allow "OR REPLACE" syntax on all create object commands.
not feasible for many technical reasons

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st