Re: Oracle #1? Then why are these still missing...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1999/07/28

A copy of this was sent to "Jorge" <cafelito_at_---NO---SPAM---yahoo.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:19:15 +0100, you wrote:

>>>consider but they know this. We don't like using the data-dictionary
 hack.

>>don't do the dd hack. use a view. renaming a column has many
>ramifications.
>
>What is the data-dictionary hack? and how...
>What can fail if we do it?
>
>thanx
> Jorge

he is talking about updating the data dictionary tables directly and then shutting down and starting up to 'rename' a column.

terrible idea, bad idea. use a view.

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st