Re: How to monitor table load?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 06:05:11 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:29:19 +0200, Rajk Kaiser <Rajk.Kaiser_at_alcatel.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've got to make sure there is always enough space in my db so that new
>entries can be inserted. How to do that best?
>
>Today I
>
>- analyze my table to get average row length and number of rows
>- then I compare avg_row_len*num_rows with initial_extend +
>(max_extends-1) * next_extend
>- when actual load is close to the maximum size I delete some entries
>
>But this apparently doesn't work. Oracle reports "max extends reached"
>(something like that) way before actual load is close to maximum load
>(~4GB). In fact it's only at about 60%.
>
>Any ideas, hints?

You should delve into the manuals some. Try recreating your database with a larger blocksize. Check to be sure you are using pctfree and pctused correctly. Create your table with an initial extent big enough to hold the initial data. Deleting entries may or may not help since Oracle won't reuse blocks until they fall below pctused. If you have access to a unix machine, the oerr program may explain your actual error better. Get any of the oracle DBA books and run the programs to tell you if you are about to run out of extents. Be sure your machine supports over 2G files.

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry   Remove nospam to reply.