Re: Expect to work with terrabytes.. now what?

From: akmal b. chaudhri <akmal_chaudhri_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 10:27:19 GMT

In article <377bebaa.0_at_tahiti.alcom.co.uk>,   "Simon Riggs" <sriggs_at_open-mind.co.uk> wrote:
> Why have you chosen the tools before you understand the potential
pitfalls
> of those tools? We recommend an open minded approach to technical
strategy
> and tools selection.

Simon:

I'm not the original poster so can't answer for him/her. However, my experience is that these things happen because of decisions higher-up. For example, I worked on a three-tier system last year using Java, CORBA and an RDB. It so happens that the RDB was DB2. The reason this was chosen was not on technical grounds, but beacuse the company has a good relationship with IBM and DB2 is the product of choice for all major developments.

> I think you should look long and hard at NCR Teradata. You may still
decide
> to go with Oracle, but at least you will do so based on informed
choice.

See above.

> NCR Teradata sales staff will tell you all the problems associated
with
> running 1-10Tb on Oracle. I'm sure IBM people will provide useful
insight
> into this challenge also.
>
> Please come back to me for a balanced opinion....!
>
> Simon Riggs
> Managing Consultant
> Info Management Practice Group
> OpenMIND Consulting
> Voice: +44-1869 238080
> http://www.open-mind.co.uk

> > to run
> > of data

> > and then
> > the
> > The DBMS

> > I'm mainly
> > the beast
> > a way I
> > reduce

akmal

--
email: akmal(at)bigfoot(dot)com || http://www.bigfoot.com/~akmal/
"I need a job where my immense ego seems normal." - Dogbert

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/