Re: Operating System Vs. Applications? (Abstract Milieu)

From: Obnoxio The Clown <obnoxio_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1999/05/24

From: maxwarpyyy_at_xxxquasarbbs.com (Massimo)

>On Mon, 24 May 1999 05:35:43, amber-dragon_at_earthling.net wrote:
>
> > We live in times when all show much concern about HOW computing works
> > and disregard WHAT we intended to get of computing. In reality any
> > operating system: both Windows and Linux are mammoth to work with. It is
>
>Have you ever tried OS/2 Warp 4 (server or client)?....
>
>OS/2 + DB2 UDB are times better than nt+oracle/sybase/informix or even
>linux...
>
>Massimo S.
> IBM OS/2 Warp 4
> Certified Engineer

I'm hardly surprised to hear that coming from you, given your certifiability. And while I would certainly grant that OS/2 is vastly superior to Windoze, and as a desktop even clubs Linux into oblivion, I must point out that Linux is going places other than nowhere, which seems to be where IBM wants to take OS/2... :-)

I mean their marketing for OS/2 is so good, I didn't even know there *was* a server version. Hell, maybe they share a marketing department with Informix!?

And I think Linux is marginally more portable than OS/2. If I remember correctly, they give you the source code? Something I don't think they do for OS/2?

The database debate is always an open one, but an OS is a religion -- as I think you pointed out by making your post. :-)