Operating System Vs. Applications? (Abstract Milieu)

From: <amber-dragon_at_earthling.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 05:35:43 GMT

We live in times when all show much concern about HOW computing works and disregard WHAT we intended to get of computing. In reality any operating system: both Windows and Linux are mammoth to work with. It is not matter what operating system do: it could seize many functions, it could leave bulk of them for your discretion. It is necessary to reexamine what is operating system at all. In general, operating system could be considered as intellectual space for working with data, code, information, and definitions. And if it isn't it is time to make it such one. If it does not reach you let's look at Internet. Who knows what operating system installed at a server you are browsing to? What commands are included in a protocol you are working with? How you get information? From a script? What a language or a database used for it? You ignore it. It is the way. So, let's make the next step: all this MUST be applied regarding a single computer. Where are we going to? Distributed, ubiquitous, comprehensible, collaborative environment - abstract milieu. Information space from your computer throughout entire world back to your computer. If you are afraid of then let's this space expands over only your computer. Really, it does not matter. Of course, such a scheme does not exclude operating system at all. It is indispensable layer between hardware and software as well abstract milieu is necessary layer between software and wetware. But operating system must go unconscious for most of us and lessen our dependence of it. Finally, we should have got a situation when you could work at any computer with any operating system without even suspecting what you are working with. It is worthy to obtain, isn't? Think about specific situation: you are going to have got information of a book. In such abstract milieu you will have got it in uniform appearing. At the same time you ignore how you get information:
- an application (console, GUI, CGI);
  • a file (txt, html, xml);
  • a script (Java, C++, Perl);
  • a link (http, ftp, reference in database);
  • a record (Oracle, Informix, Sybase);
  • an archive (zip, gz, arj);
  • a message (email, icq, chat). At last, if you doubt in attainability of such prospects get know a specification of a language which could manage this emerging area: http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Facility/2320/ua/

Sincerely yours,
Yuriy Guskov.

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Mon May 24 1999 - 07:35:43 CEST

Original text of this message