Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Bob Hauck <b>
Date: 14 May 1999 14:52:02 -0600

jedi_at_dementia.mishnet () writes:

> My introduction to Usenet was via a Waffle based BBS
> that was running QNX on a 386. The problem with Usenet
> full feed is the storage requirement, no the CPU.

I started running Usenet on a 20 MB 486/25 with a 540 MB disk in '94 (using Linux). On a 56K Frame Relay line. It has grown just a tad since then. For one thing, that 56K line has been unable to handle a full feed since probably sometime in '96.

Technically, you may be right. You can probably still run a full feed on a 486 _if_ certain conditions are met and you really, really want to do it for some reason. But one of the conditions is that you can't have many readers or a very long article retention, which begs the question of why you would want to have a full feed under those conditions when places like RemarQ and Dejanews exist.

--
 13:00:00 up 80 days,  2:20,  0 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.14, 0.16