Re: Web/DB Development Tools?

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 07:19:24 GMT

Hi

> We're looking at doing a similar project, albeit on a lesser scale.
We
> presently use Cold Fusion, however I am looking into WebDB ( seeing
how it
> came free with 8i and all). It would be nice to keep all the project
in the
> Oracle family.
>
> One question to add to the originals, can WebDB function with just an
Oracle
> db or do you need something like OAS

It comes with it's own light weight listener, which as far as i know can not handle as heay a load as OAS 4

> To answer question 3, we use Cold Fusion now with Oracle. Works ok,
> connections are a little slow, but maybe that's our problem. I
haven't
> figured out a way to run PL/SQL though.

> acarts wrote in message <7gur54$6tm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >Background:
> >I am relatively new to Oracle8, but not to Web/DB development.
> >
> >I am involved in the early stages of planning and designing a large
> >database/web application. The backend is an Oracle8 database, and
from what
> >understand there is approximately one terabyte of data.
> >
> >In a nutshell, the database contains large amounts of text, research
data
> and
> >images. User's will be able to search for information via a web
interface.
> >Access to certain parts of the database needs to be controlled
depending on
> >what type of user is interacting with it. Eventually, this
application
> will
> >expand to include other very large databases (not necessarily Oracle)
in
> >various locations around the USA.
> >
> >Questions:
> >1) Is Oracle's WebDB robust enough to handle this project? And, does
WedDB
> >provide access to the actual files for line editing, or is it all
GUI? You can add pl/sql code to webdb objects in various places eg, before loading form after load, before query etc etc

> >2) Would Oracle Developer be a better tool and why/why not?

The best bet in my opinion is to write the application from scratch in pl/sql , once you get thae hang of it it you can right html apps pretty fast, I am doing an html app with similar functionality to the one you have, and it is easier for me with just html, also web db will restrict you to a certain style of application which may not be what you want

> >3) Has anyone used Cold Fusion with an Oracle backend? Do you think
this is
> >better way to go, given that the app needs to extend to other
database
> engines
> >in the future?

Obviously if this is the case it would be wise not use use an oracle development environment

> >And finally, can anyone send me URLs with reviews/detailed
information
> about
> >the products mentioned above?
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any input,