Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.hex.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 00:44:40 GMT

On 13 May 1999 09:55:09 -0400, Cary O'Brien <cobrien_at_Radix.Net> wrote:
>In article <car_2.5725$qQ4.122906_at_news2.giganews.com>,
>Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_hex.net> wrote:
>>The deployment of CORBA-based applications on Linux is, at present, in
>>roughly the embryonic form that GNOME was nearly a year ago. Some
>>pieces are available, but a minimal quantity of applications that have
>>reached a level of maturity as to allow them to be pre-configured
>>using a package manager.
>
>Applixware *seems* to both access and export CORBA objects. I haven't
>been able to get it to work.

[Chris nods knowingly...]
That's about what I'd expect, at this point.

Two questions:
a) Which version of ApplixWare introduces this? b) Do you know which ORB it's trying to talk to?

I think that b) is likely to be the key to the problem; the application needs to have an ORB to talk to. If Applix wrote ApplixWare to talk to ORBIX, then you need to have some portion of ORBIX present. ORBIX would then manage having messages go to other ORBs in the local "federation" of ORBs.

But if that piece of ORBIX (or VisiBroker, the most likely alternative, I'd guess) isn't included with ApplixWare, then you're out of luck. ApplixWare has no way of getting those requests out to the rest of the world. And your only way to accomplish that would be to get a copy of the relevant ORB.

This is probably a good argument for using a "libre" ORB such as TAO or OmniORB in conjunction with commercial applications; if the application is "merely" seeking to export capabilities, as opposed to using higher level services (e.g. - Transaction Service, Persistent Data Service), then it's quite good enough for the ORB nearest to the application to be "not fully featured." If you, the user, want to use the "expensive services that come with pricey ORBs," you can have an expensive ORB manage that.

--
"Rather than complaining, I suggest shopping where Linux is
appreciated."  -- Phil Hughes <fyl_at_ssc.com>